When we were small, my parents worried a lot about us getting married at an early age. They used to tell us (I remember almost everyday) to finish our studies first before having serious romantic involvement/commitment. They say right after graduation we can directly go to church and wed anybody we wish to marry. So, we listened and none of us gave them problems regarding love affairs. Nobody got pregnant; nobody was caught making public display of affection. Not that we know of and not even our neighbors and rumor mongers know of. The earliest and first marriage happened in the family was with my second eldest sister. She was 25 when she got married. She would have not gotten married if she was not abducted and persuaded by one of her persistent suitors. The other two older sisters got married at 32, my brother next to me got married at 30. My two other brothers are 25 and 28 and still single. Now, my parents are still worrying. Not of an early marriage but they worry about their children not marrying at all. My parents every now and then are eyeing potential son-in-law. The latest was a toothless ice cream vendor. My father says he looks sweet. He’s always smiling. I am not so picky but heck…I really do think I deserve a man who could at least afford to buy himself a false teeth.
What I mean to say is…parents worry if their children marry at young age, and they worry too if their children are older and not marrying still. It’s really hard to raise parents! Do I really look like I’m desperate? Gawd!!!
0 comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment